instant gramming

December 10, 2010

Random: Table for One

Random. Inspired by this very post relating to a subject that fell into my lab that has nothing to do with much of anything but might just be a window into the inner-workings of my brain.

One of my daily stops on the Internet Super Highway, Booooooom!, posted a link to this site, Table for One (Table-for-1.tumblr.com)--a collection of pictures of people sitting alone, eating.

The reason this stood out to me is that I have historically had the opinion that someone eating alone is a sad thing and it usually breaks my heart. I don't know why. It's not like food has been a crazy social thing for me. However, growing up, lunches were in a school cafeteria and dinners were at the family dining table.

These photos confirm my suspicion: not everyone looks lonely or unhappy. Most are just eating, some are working, some look happy and relaxed. Some do look lonely or unhappy, and I guess that's life. It took me a long time to learn that alone time is worth while and important. Sometimes I crave alone time... but usually not.

Anyway, the "eating-alone" thing has always been a point of internal conflict for me and I think I'm understanding my reaction to it better these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment