instant gramming

January 19, 2011

Goals

In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it. - Robert Heinlein US science fiction author (1907 - 1988)

After reading this I had to wonder: do I have clearly-defined goals? would I say I am enslaved by daily trivia?

I was hoping this would be the prompt to an inspiring blog post but I'm not sure what my answers would be.

Are my goals clear? Nope. I want to be a great dad and a great husband, but I don't have any certain plans on accomplishing those things, I just know I want to be that. I want to get work done around the house and make time for my hobbies in a responsible way, but don't have any strategy for doing that.

What I have done is made myself a running "GTD" (Get Things Done) list, complete with check boxes, to hold myself responsible for accomplishing certain things. So far it's menial stuff: clean the oven (check); paint the entrance to the basement (check!); and so on. I'm thinking it should expand to greater things like find a new recipe each week, exercise for 30 minutes at least once this week, do something new with Ellie at least one day each week, surprise C with something good each week... [I'm good with the bad surprises: check out my self-inflicted mullet haircut!]

Anyway, hopefully this quote will push me to better define my goals and recognize the daily trivia in my life. Sorry I didn't reach a better resolution, but hopefully you'll be inspired, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment