instant gramming

May 12, 2009

Footprints, footsteps, pedal pushing

I just stumbled upon Lighter Footstep: a website about eco-friendly living. "The Daily Footstep" is short columns about small choices that make big differences. Brandi at Get Buck linked up the article It's Smart to Ride a Bike - and Riding Makes You Smarter:

A 2004 study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences showed that aerobic activity yielded up to a 20 percent improvement in pattern recognition and sorting. It also produced dramatic improvement in short-term memory.


While I may recognize patterns and be able to sort like a champ at 9 o'clock in the morn, I'm not convinced biking helps out my memory. It does get my blood flowing, however, and probably keeps the edge off on these days when I don't have coffee.

I should mention May is "Bike Month" and this week is the official "National Bike to Work Week." Columbus is doing it real big, with a website and lots of events: www.b2ww.org. On Thursday I intend on joining a group of local cyclists for an event called "Green Drinks: Bike Hop" which will travel down a bike path between a few local bars around Happy Hour. Should be fun as they predict scattered showers throughout that day. And don't worry - I'm developing a strategy involving drinking a lot of coffee before the event and not drinking a lot of beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment